Omega banner

July 18, 2004

The Hudson River and New York Cty

Our adventure up the Hudson was great! We stopped at the Statue of Liberty on our first night in light rain and mist. The next day, the weather had cleared and we motored north up the Hudson during the morning rush hours and dodged the numerous water taxis, Staten Island Ferry, a cruise ship, and many tugs with barges. Once we got to the George Washington Bridge, the traffic died out and we enjoyed the spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline and the Palisades on the Jersey side.

By mid afternoon, we were in Nyack at the West end of the Tappan Zee Bridge. We went ashore in the dinghy and walked around town and dropped in on Jo Baer, the real estate broker who helped me buy and sell our house in West Nyack. Jo and her husband are both very successful business people with a broad range of interests and involvement in the community. Nyack attracts a lot of celebrity people and Jo has helped many of them find homes in the area. As we parted, she suggested that we call on our way back down the River to get together with them for dinner.

Our next stop was at Cornwall on Hudson, just North of West Point. We got a slip at the Cornwall Yacht Club and had Ronnie and John Zsido and their six children on board for dinner. Ronnie and John were classmates of my son Richard at West Point (class of ’87) and have both just been promoted to Lt. Colonel ahead of the normal time line. A wonderful family and fun to have on the boat.

Our next night, we anchored behind Banerman’s Island across from Cornwall. Banerman was an early 20th Century arms dealer who used his fortunes to build an Irish Castle on the island and use it as his base of operations. It is now part of the NY State Parks system but is in ruins and not open to visitors.

The Poughkeepsie Yacht Club on the East side of the River was our next stop. My sister Milbrey and her husband Walt joined us for three days and we continued up the Hudson as far as Catskill. We stumbled into the Catskill fireworks on Thursday night and dined out before the display at a waterfront restaurant.

Thanks to the loan of Milbrey’s car, we were able to drive down to Haddonfield for the weekend of the 4th and had a fun day and evening with Ethan and Carolyn at their all day “annual” cookout and picnic that starts before the parade and ends after the fireworks. We also visited with my stepmother Ruth and had a nice visit from daughter Liz and my wife Norma.

After the celebrations of the 4th (actually the 5th), we drove back to Mibs and Walt’s home in Copake Falls, NY. We made day trips to the Catskills and visited a waterfall (can’t remember the name) and the site of an old resort hotel that was on top of the Catskills with a spectacular view over the Hudson River Valley. The next day, we visited the home of the painter Frederick Church of the Hudson River School of painting on the East side of the River. It is quite a place and is now preserved and run by the State of New York. Walt drove us back to the bat on Saturday and the next day we started to retrace out steps down the Hudson to the Marina at West 79th Street that is run by the NY City Parks Department. It is a nice place and a good location to explore NY City and is very reasonably priced – especially for New York!

Sue’s son Josh joined us on Omega the next two nights and on Wednesday; his girlfriend Lu joined us as we went to the Museum of Natural History. What a place! We got tickets to the Hayden Planetarium show on the possibility of other life in the universe narrated by Harrison Ford. The show is fantastic and very thought provoking. We also toured some Rose Center of the museum on astronomy and space. That afternoon, we went downtown by subway to the site of the World Trade Center and walked around. It is hard to believe that it was almost three years ago that 911 occurred but the site is totally cleared and active rebuilding is underway.

We all went uptown to Sloan Kettering for Sue’s follow up appointment with her doctor. It went well and she got anther clean bill of health! Back downtown for dinner at the Chelsea Grill and then Lu left us to go home to Brooklyn and we went back uptown (we really got our money’s worth from the one day subway pass for $7!) and saw the movie Spiderman II. The next day, Josh had to go back to work so Sue and I went back to the Natural History Museum and saw the IMAX movie “Volcanoes of the Deep”. Another spectacular show on the amazing life forms that have recently been discovered where these very deep volcanoes vent into the ocean. WE also continued our exploration of the museum’s exhibits. If you have not been to this Museum, it is a must and a real bargain.

We left the City on Friday and motor-sailed through the NY Harbor and under the Verranzano Narrows Bridge and across the Raritan Bay to Atlantic Highlands YC. We are now in Fairfield NJ at the Wellesley Inn for the Fresh Creek board meeting on the 19th. We expect to return to Omega on Tuesday and then start our next travel segment – out Long Island Sound and then to Narragansett Bay and perhaps Nantucket Island!

Posted by Dick at 03:22 PM