Omega banner

December 28, 2005

The end of the year entry

This will probably be the last log entry for 2005 and it is hard to believe that another year of the cruising life has gone by. It has been an interesting year with a lot of highlights.
As always, our “winter” in the Bahamas was great and we had with many good times with boating friends. While we were in Georgetown, Sue learned to weave baskets from palm leaves and many of our family members got a basket and a sea biscuit shell as a Christmas present. I also passed my ham radio code test and am now the holder of a “General” class license.
We had nice visits aboard Omega in the Bahamas with John and Sandy Matsen (when I caught my first ever Dolphin – two actually!), Andy and Dave Pritchard, my sister Milbrey and her husband Walt, and Chuck Ellenwood and Kathy Schultz. My son Richard and his family were with us for a nice long weekend on the Chesapeake. Our visits with Chuck Ellenwood and Cathy Schultz in Daytona were fun and Chuck always has a list of “projects” to be worked on that are also interesting to do. In October, we made a trip to San Diego to visit with my daughter Louisa and her husband Chris and get to know their new daughter Neva. On the way north and south we visited with KAT, Jackie and Jaidan, and drove to Charlotte for my aunt Sue’s memorial service where we were able to visit with my five cousins for the first time in many years. We visited wit my daughter Liz several times and spent two weekends with her in her new house in Bensalem, PA earlier this month.
Our trips to Ocracoke and Manteo on the outer banks of North Carolina and up the Potomac to Washington for the week of July 4th were major highlight of the cruising year. There were also several trips back to NJ for Fresh Creek business and routine medical check ups so we put in some serious travel time beyond our cruising activities.
Omega got major upgrades with a new spinnaker, reworked mainsail and genoa and new lifelines, standing rigging and a new Schaefer roller furling system for the jib. She also had major repairs with the broken shaft strut that kept us in St Augustine three weeks, and an overhaul of the anchor windlass. All this is in addition to the usual maintenance and small repairs that seem to never end. I think she is in better condition now than she has ever been.
We are leaving Daytona Beach today to continue the trek south. We hope to be at Jensen Beach/Stuart by Saturday to have an early new years dinner with friends Dave and Kay Lucas. We will then move on to Ft. Lauderdale to be at Ethan and Carolyn’s place by January 5th. We have a flight back to NJ on the 7th where we will visit with Liz again and I will spend another week at Fresh Creek working with the management team. Hopefully, there will not be a need for additional trips back other than routine board meetings. The “plan” is to cross to the Bahamas sometime around January 20th when there is good weather window for the Gulf Stream crossing. To all of you who follow our adventures via this site, have a happy new year and a healthy and prosperous 2006! Fair winds and following seas.

Posted by Dick at 06:17 AM