Omega banner

July 06, 2008

Up the Chesapeake to Solomons

We decided to leave Courage at Yankee Point while we went to NJ for our doctor appointments and have them work on trying to fix the leak in the starboard water tank. I also had them order the peel and stick letters “COURAGE” for the name boards, and a new fresh water pump to replace the one that failed while we were at the marina. When we returned to the boat, the peel and stick letters had been installed which I did not authorize so we will have a discussion with them on this cost. Also, their attempt to fix the water tank leak didn’t work so this is still on the to do list. They did get the alternator working so we can now charge the batteries when the engine is running. The new water pump works fine so we have fresh water pressure again. I will try to get a rebuild kit for the old one so I have a spare.
We stayed in this area for the 4th of July and went to Carters Creek and anchored in front of The Tides resort for their 4th of July fireworks display. It was great but the incredible show was put on by the private home across from the Tides. Their show was almost too long and put the Tides to shame! There were a lot of boats anchored out but the crowd was well behaved and there were no problems with all the boats leaving in the dark after the show. Cruising friends Sandy and Rankin we met many years ago in Georgetown Exumas on Heart of Texas anchored next to us. They have sailed to the western Caribbean since we last saw them and had a great trip other than suffering some hurricane damage to their boat, which they had repaired in Trinidad.
Since then, we circled back to Wilton Creek and visited with cruising friends the Keens who have a condo there and keep their boat White Winds at a dock down the hill from their condo. We went out to dinner with them and had a nice visit. Peter is an artist and has his paintings in a local gallery in Kilmarnock.
Yesterday we went north to Reedville and anchored for the night. Today we continued up the Chesapeake in calm conditions and arrived here in Solomons about 3 PM. I’m thinking that we may stay here tomorrow to go ashore and do some provisioning and top up the water tank. The “no plan” plan is to move up the Chesapeake towards Annapolis where I have some stuff I ordered waiting for me at West Marine.

Posted by Dick at 06:42 PM