Omega banner

August 02, 2009

The Meaning and Purpose of Life

Know Where You Are Going in Life....

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

'Not very long,' answered the Mexican.

'But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?'

asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, 'But what do you do with the rest of your time?'

'I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs. I have a full life.'

The American interrupted, 'I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat.'

'And after that?' asked the Mexican.

'With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.

Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant.

You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City , Los Angeles , or even New York City !

From there you can direct your huge new enterprise.'

'How long would that take?' asked the Mexican.

'Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years,' replied the American.

'And after that?'

'Afterwards? Well my friend, that's when it gets really interesting,' answered the American, laughing.

'When your business gets really big, you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!'

'Millions? Really? And after that?' asked the Mexican.

'After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends.'

The Moral of this story is: .........

Know where you're going in may already be there.

Posted by Dick at 04:43 PM

August 01, 2009

Our road trip through the Northeast

Time to update the log again! We have been off of the boat for the last month being CLODS (Cruisers Living On Dirt) and taking a road trip through the Northeast to visit with family and friends.
Courage was left on a mooring at Swan Creek Marina for the month and we picked up our Enterprise rental car July 1st to start our month of car travel. The first stop was to Liz’s house for our annual visit to our dermatologist. One of the spots on my face turned out to be basal cell pre cancer so I am scheduled back in September to have it removed. All else was the routine old age stuff.
Sue and I drove to Haddonfield for the Friday night fireworks display. We linked up with Ethan, Carolyn and Kaya at their friend’s the Hitchner’s house and ended up watching the fireworks from the baseball park next to their house.
The next morning, Liz joined us and we drove again to Haddonfield to watch the 4th of July parade. We saw many friends who still live in the area and it was a perfect day for the parade. After the parade, we drove around Haddonfield to see Sue’s former house, 412 Washington where I lived, 135 Wedgewood Lane where my X lived, and other parts of town. We stopped at 412 and rang the bell but the Tarditti’s were not home so I left my boat card. Jack called later that afternoon and invited us to get together with them sometime and take the house tour, and we will try to do that later this fall when we are back there again.
Sue flew back to Ft Myers with Kaya and Carolyn on Monday morning while I stayed at Liz’s Ethan was working in NJ that week so Sue was able to play grandmother while Carolyn was at work.
I broke a tooth on this trip and have been going through the root canal and crown routine. No pain but multiple trips to the dentists and a large hurt in my wallet! It won’t be finished until September when the permanent crown in installed.
I went back to my eye doctor to see about the continuing problems with my vision and he scheduled me back for laser surgery in the right eye to try to clear up the film that developed after the new fake lens was installed. That was done on the 24th and seems to have made some difference but I still have vision problems. I go back again for the follow up exam in September so we’ll see what he recommends next.
We then left on our road trip stopping first at my sister Milbrey and her husband Walt's home in Copake Falls, NY. It is a beautiful time of year there and we had a nice visit and celebrated her birthday with a dinner at a nice colonial restaurant nearby. We also drove to Williamstown, MA and went to the Clark Museum. Again it was a beautiful day for the trip and the museum was impressive and interesting.
Our next stop was at Sue’s sister Linda’s where we had another nice family visit with them, their daughter Wiz and her two daughters Isabelle and Olivia, and Linda’s sons Jeff and Fred and his wife Cindy. They have a hot tub, which we used every night before bed and it made for very restful sleeping.
The final stop on the road trip was at my daughter Louisa’s home in Jamaica Plain (Boston) with her husband Chris and their daughter Neva. We took walks to the local park that has fountains for the kids to run through and play in as well as a playground with the usual swings, etc. Neva is very friendly and not shy about going up to other kids she doesn’t know and saying “will you be my friend?”. She is a very sharp young lady and fun to be with. On the weekend we took the “T” into Boston and the ferry out to Spectacle Island in Boston Harbor. It is a nice park with a swimming beach and the weather cooperated with a nice breeze and moderate temperature. They had a jazz group playing on the porch of the park headquarters that we listened to for a while before catching the ferry back. On Monday, Louisa took us with Neva to the Boston Children’s museum, which she really enjoys. They have been many times but she seems to like to go back and doesn’t get tired of it.
Our road trip ended up back in NJ for the Fresh Creek board meeting on the 23rd. We spent the next week at Liz’s working on her “peeps” projects and making new cushion covers for Courage with a moss green “Ultrasuade” material I purchased at the Maxie’s Daughter material store on South Street in Philadelphia. I also bought vinyl light tan leather like material and made a new cover for the helm chair. Both are now installed and look very nice. One big mistake was that one of the new cushion covers is way too short – a “senior moment” measuring and cutting the material. I’ll make a replacement for it when we are back at Liz’s next trip.
Last night we had Dick and Deanna Shepard aboard for dinner. They keep their boat “Sareanna” at the Osprey Point Marina next to Swan Creek and are planning to retire and go cruising in the next year or two. They live in Haddonfield and Sue has known them for a long time. Nice folks and they had a list of questions for us on the cruising life.
We have no real plans for the next few weeks other than to bounce around the Chesapeake anchoring out at our favorite places. This time of year, the Chesapeake is hot and humid and I think one of the A/C units is not cooling at full strength and may need servicing so I will see if I can find the local authorized service agent for it next week. Other than that, Courage is in good shape and it feels good to be back aboard.

Posted by Dick at 12:26 PM